Job Description: Head of Young Associates Programme
Contract: 1 year fixed term contract (extension subject to funding)
Hours of work: 4 days a week, 9am – 5pm
Occasional evening and weekend work will be required and repaid with TOIL
Salary: £33,000 per annum (pro rata)
Employer: Open School East
Continue reading or download PDF
We are seeking to recruit a Head of Young Associates Programme to build on the successes of its pilot year. The post holder will be responsible for delivering, adapting and evaluating the programme, working towards Department for Education registration and the future sustainability of the programme.
The delivery of the programme is jointly held by the Head of Young Associates Programme, the Creative Careers Tutor and the Creative Tutor. The Head of Young Associates Programme will report to the Deputy Director.
About Open School East
Established in 2013, Open School East (OSE) is a Margate-based arts charity that delivers free and flexible creative learning programmes with and for communities less likely to access traditional provision. Alongside the Young Associates Programme, we run four complementary strands:
- The Associates Programme: a free, year-long development programme for emerging artists and cultural practitioners;
- The Public Programme: a multifaceted programme of events, activities and courses, free of charge and open to all;
- Despacito Art School: a hands-on art, craft and functional object-making programme, open to young people aged 5 to 12;
- Artist Commission: awarded to a member of OSE’s alumni community to create collaborative art projects.
As an organisation committed to alternative provision, we strive to run our programmes according to principles of collaboration, experimentation and inclusivity, and welcome those who engage with these notions in different ways.
About The Young Associates Programme
In September 2019, OSE launched a free, art and design programme in Margate, open to young people aged 16-18. The Young Associates Programme (YAP) is for young people across East Kent who show talent and/or interest in creative activities, want to consider art and design as a possible future, or wish to gain transferable skills.
Each year the accredited programme supports up to 15 learners to achieve a Level 1 or 2 diploma in Art and Design, as well as Functional Skills in Maths and English (as part of our Creative Careers module). The YAP is a place to develop life skills, confidence, knowledge and technical skills in art and design forms including: graphic design, music production, printmaking, sculpture, film and photography, fashion, and furniture design.
While on the programme the Young Associates interact with world class artists, designers and industry professionals, and get regular opportunities to showcase their work and develop creative projects in and around Margate. Throughout the year we also organise visits to local and national galleries, museums, theatres and offsite art-making spaces.
The Young Associates Programme is a formal education provider, however; it operates in an informal and tight-knit setting, and within the confines of an arts education organisation dedicated to alternative forms of pedagogies, which in turn inform the YAP.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Develop and oversee the curriculum, including creating programme structures, procedures and writing schedules;
- Work towards relevant accreditation quality standards and Department for Education registration;
- Line-manage the YAP faculty (Creative Careers Tutor and Creative Tutor);
- Oversee the planning and delivery of the YAP, including adapting to digital delivery for C-19, where appropriate, ordering course materials, equipment and ensuring the space is safely set up to host the Young Associates (YAs);
- Develop and implement a recruitment and retention strategy for the YAs;
- Maintain regular communication with the YAs and their parents/carers;
- Provide the YAs with pastoral care;
- Initiate and manage existing and new partnerships in support of the programme, recruitment, pathways for the YAs and of YAP’s presence in Margate;
- Work with the YAP Evaluator to assess the impact of the programme;
- Report to the Board and programme funders on a regular basis;
- Management of the YAP budget;
- Any other duties, which may reasonably be required by the management team.
- A professional teaching qualification in secondary or further education;
- Significant experience of designing and delivering effective learning programmes;
- A demonstrable commitment to creating and sustaining inclusive learning environments;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with young people and staff;
- An understanding of the importance of Safeguarding and Data Protection;
- A commitment to Equal Opportunities;
- Ability to lead and manage as well as work as part of a team to an agreed action plan;
- Experience of working with stakeholders to develop creative initiatives;
- An interest in issues concerning the welfare and rights of young people;
- A positive attitude towards working with young people, including those with learning, social and emotional needs;
- Engagement with the organisation’s values, and in particular with alternative education;
- An enhanced DBS certificate registered with the online update service or a willingness to process a new application;
- A willingness to undertake additional training.
- Previous experience administering accreditation processes;
- Knowledge and understanding of social issues in the East Kent area;
- Experience of working with the creative arts.
To apply please send a CV and cover letter (2 pages max) outlining your relevant experience and motivation for this role, by email to: Eni Timi-Biu, firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you have any question with regards to the role, please contact Eni Timi-Biu.
At Open School East, we are committed to improving the diversity of our organisation as a whole and building inclusive cultures every day. Therefore we encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds and sections of the community.
Deadline for applications: Monday 23 November 2020 at 10am.
Interviews to be held on: w/c 30 November 2020; format and location tbc.